Wednesday, June 3, 2015

A Letter from my Father

Since childhood whenever I am in doubt or am feeling low, I have taken refuge in Dad's letters. This is one such letter he wrote to me on 16th December, 1992.
Yes, I was thirteen years old then. My mother informed him of my adamant nature, but she forgot to look for the reasons for the sudden change. My Grandpa had expired on 31st October, 1991 and I was very close to him. That was the first death I had witnessed. Nobody knew what I went through. Nobody told me death was inevitable. Nobody told me life moves on. I blamed everyone who laughed or enjoyed life. Because I thought moving on in life without him was impossible and a sin.
It is very important to talk to your children about everything. It is necessary to make them come to terms with the realities of life. Young minds are impressionable. They're the most vulnerable. Take time to understand and educate.
This morning as I read Sheryl Sandberg's status, the first thing that came to my mind was this episode. And then again, I went back to my treasure chest. Reading these make me feel strong and secure.




This one I had to share with my nine-year old who is showing signs of getting into tens. And I felt I should share these here for anyone who might find them helpful.

No comments: